Request a Quote
- Standard Equipment
- Optional Equipment
- OPERATOR ENVIRONMENT
- Cab, pressurized and sound suppressed (ROPS/FOPS)
- Viscous mounts
- Multi-function 18 cm color LCD touch-screen display for rear vision camera image display (reverse travel activated) and machine status, setting and health parameters
- EH controls, SAL (single axis lever) lift and tilt function
- Steering, EH joystick, speed sensing with force feedback
- Radio ready (entertainment) includes antenna, speakers and converter (12V, 10-amp)
- Air conditioner, heater, and defroster (auto temp and fan)
- EH parking brake
- Beverage holders (2) with storage compartment for cell phone/MP3 player
- Bucket/work tool function lockout
- Coat hook (2)
- Cab air filter
- Ergonomic cab access ladders and handrails
- Horn, electric
- Light, two dome (cab)
- Mirrors, rearview external with integrated spot mirrors
- Post mounted membrane 16 switch keypad
- 2 receptacles, 12V
- Seat, Cat Comfort (cloth) air suspension
- Seat belt, 51 mm retractable, with indicator
- Sun visor, front
- Wet-arm wipers/washers front and rear, intermittent front wiper
- Window, sliding (left and right sides)
- Cab tie-off
- COMPUTERIZED MONITORING SYSTEM
- With following gauges: – Speedometer/tachometer – Digital gear range indicator – Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) level – Temperature: engine coolant, hydraulic oil, transmission oil – Fuel level
- With following warning indicators: – Regeneration – Temperature: axle oil, engine intake manifold – Pressure: engine oil, fuel pressure hi/low, primary steering oil, service brake oil – Battery voltage hi/low – Engine air filter restriction – Hydraulic oil filter restriction – Hydraulic oil low – Parking brake – DEF low level – Transmission filter bypass
- ELECTRICAL AND LIGHTING
- Batteries (2), maintenance free 1,400 CCA
- Ignition key; start/stop switch
- Starter, electric, heavy duty
- Starting and charging system (24V)
- Lighting system: – Four halogen work lights (cab mounted) – Two front halogen roading lights (with signals) – Two halogen rear vision lights (hood mounted) – Two rear LED position/stop/turn signal lights
- Alarm, back-up
- Alternator, 145-amp brushed
- Main disconnect switch
- Emergency engine shutdown switch
- Receptacle start (cables not included)
- Secondary steering
- CAT CONNECT TECHNOLOGIES
- Link technologies: Product Link
- Detect technologies: rear vision camera
- POWER TRAIN
- Engine, Cat 9.3 ACERT – meets Tier 4 Final/Stage IV emission standards
- Cat Clean Emissions Module (CEM) with Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) and remote Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) tank and pump
- Fuel priming pump (electric)
- Fuel/water separator
- Precleaner, engine air intake
- Cat continuously variable transmission
- Axles, manually actuated differential lock front axle, open differential rear axle
- Axles, ecology drains
- Brakes, full hydraulic enclosed wet-disc with modulated neutralizer and integrated retarding
- Brake wear indicators
- Parking brake, disc and caliper
- Right pedal lock, maximum rimpull control and machine speed limit in the cab
- Fan, radiator, electronically controlled, hydraulically driven, temperature sensing, on demand
- Radiator, high debris with wider fin spacing
- Linkage, Z-bar, cast crosstube/tilt lever
- Kickout, lift and tilt, automatic (adjustable in cab)
- Hydraulic system, load sensing
- Steering, load sensing
- Ride control, 2V
- Remote diagnostic pressure taps
- Hoses, Cat XT™
- Couplings, Cat O-ring face seal
- Hydraulic oil cooler (swing out)
- Oil sampling valves
- Premixed extended life coolant with freeze protection to –34° C
- OTHER STANDARD EQUIPMENT
- Hood, non-metallic power tilting with rear clamshell
- Service centers (electrical and hydraulic)
- Platform, window washing
- Auto idle shutdown
- Fenders, steel front with mud-flap/rear with extension
- Ecology drains for engine, transmission, and hydraulics
- Ether aid ready
- Grill, airborne debris
- Filters: fuel, engine air, engine oil, hydraulic oil, transmission
- Fuel cooler
- Grease zerks
- Hitch, drawbar with pin
- Precleaner rain cap
- Sight gauges: engine coolant, hydraulic oil, and transmission oil level
- Vandalism protection caplocks
- OPERATOR ENVIRONMENT
- Door, remote opening system
- Cover, HVAC metallic
- EH controls, SAL 3rd function: – Additional roller switch for 4th function
- EH controls, joystick lift and tilt: – Additional integrated roller switches for 3rd and 4th functions
- Filter, carbon fresh air
- Mirrors, heated rearview external with integrated spot mirrors
- Precleaner, HVAC
- Precleaner, HVAC (RESPA)
- Radio, AM/FM/CD/USB/MP3 Bluetooth
- Radio, CB ready
- Seat, heated air suspension
- Seat belt, 4 point harness, with indicator
- Roof, metallic
- Sun visor, rear
- Windows, rubber mounted
- Windows, with front guard
- Windows, with heavy duty front guard
- Windows, with full guards front, rear and sides
- ELECTRICAL AND LIGHTING
- Four additional halogen cab mounted work lights or;
- Four additional HID cab mounted work lights
- LED front and rear roading lights
- Speed limiter – 20 km/h
- STARTERS, BATTERIES, AND ALTERNATORS
- Cold start – 240V
- CAT CONNECT TECHNOLOGIES
- Link technologies: VIMS™
- Payload technologies: – Aggregate Autodig – Cat Production Measurement – Printer, Cat Production Measurement
- Detect technologies: dedicated display for rear vision camera, full-time activation
- Machine Security System
- POWER TRAIN
- Axles: – Automatic front/rear differential locks – Axle oil cooler – Extreme temperature seals – Seal guards
- Fan, VPF (variable pitch fan), automatic and manual control
- Radiator, high ambient capability with lower fan spacing
- High lift
- Extended capacity
- Quick coupler ready
- WORK TOOLS
- Performance Series buckets
- Fusion quick coupler
- Forks, pallet
- Forks, logging
- 3rd function with Ride Control
- 4th function with Ride Control
- Premixed extended life coolant with freeze protection to –50° C
- Bio-degradable oil, Cat HYDO™
- OTHER OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
- Fenders, roading
- Guard, power train
- Guard, rear radiator grill
- Oil change, high speed engine
- Precleaner, turbine
- Precleaner, trash
- OTHER OPTIONAL CONFIGURATIONS
- Aggregate Handler
- Industrial and Waste Handler
Service Refill Capacities
Transmission Virtual Gears
Proven Components and Technology You Can Count On.
Every Tier 4 Final/Stage IV ACERT engine is equipped with a combination of proven electronic, fuel, air and aftertreatment components.
The electronics used in Tier 4 Final/Stage IV ACERT engines are more powerful and robust than ever. Increased features and connection commonality improve the customer experience and increase quality and reliability. Over-foam wiring harness adds to reliability even in the most demanding applications.
The 972M XE hydraulic system has significant design changes and customer value improvements. The main hydraulic valve is now a mono-block with an integrated ride control section. The mono-block design reduces weight, has forty percent fewer leak points and is common across all M Series models. Auxiliary third and fourth hydraulic functions can be easily added at the factory or in the field with the addition of a second remote valve.
Cat Connect technologies and Cat dealer services take the guesswork out of equipment management. Product Link™ and the online VisionLink® application enable you to monitor real-time machine data and manage machines health. Your Cat dealer offers expert advice and S·O·SSM Services to maintain equipment reliability and efficiency.
The new optional cold start package provides dependable starts in extreme cold weather and high altitudes.
Better Built to Meet Your Needs.
The robotically welded two-piece structural frame design provides strong and rigid structures that absorb all the forces associated to penetration, loading and twisting. The M Series articulating hitch system, joining the front and rear frames, provides increased bearing force capacity.
The M Series axles are designed to handle extreme applications resulting in reliable performance and durable life. The rear axle can oscillate to ±13 degrees helping to ensure all four wheels stay on the ground providing stability even in the roughest terrain, for excellent stability and traction.
Work Smart and Move More.
The right technologies fine-tuned for the right applications result in:
- High Performance across a variety of applications.
- Enhanced Reliability through commonality and simplicity of design.
- Maximized Uptime and Reduced Cost with world-class support from the Cat dealer network.
- Minimized Impact of Emission Systems – Designed to be transparent to the operator without requiring interaction.
- Durable Designs with long life to overhaul.
- Delivering Better Fuel Economy with minimized maintenance costs while providing the same great power and response.
The new ride control system now has two accumulators enabling it to be more effective over a greater payload range, increasing productivity and operator efficiency due to a better ride. The next generation implement pump continuously and automatically balance hydraulic loads with the machine performance desired by the operator. Engine response is improved as is performance at higher altitudes.
Power is transmitted through a variator unit (hydraulic pump and motor) as well as a parallel mechanical gear path (highest efficiency) in order to maximize the transmission efficiency over a wide range of operating conditions. The continuously variable gear ratio of the variator enables the ability to run the engine at a more efficient operating range independent of machine ground speed.
In addition to aggregates, sand and gravel and batch plants, this model is commonly used in heavy construction applications where poor underfoot conditions make traction difficult slowing production and challenging job deadlines. The new on-the-go disc-type differential locks will improve tractive ability in these applications thereby increasing productivity. This model comes standard with front axle differential locks which are manually activated by a switch on the floor. Optional fully automatic front and rear axle differential locks operate by measuring differences in wheel speeds and require no operator intervention to activate. These disc-type differential locks reduce tire scuffing compared to other traction aids further reducing operating costs for customers. The axles have new external caliper disc parking brakes mounted to the input shaft of the front axles. Since they are external, they do not have the inefficiencies of enclosed wet parking brakes due to brake discs running in oil nor is there any oil to change reducing fuel and maintenance costs. External caliper parking brakes are easily accessible for inspection and service.
Engineered to Lower Your Operating Costs.
- The deep system integration of the new engine and emissions system, power train, hydraulic system and cooling system intelligently lower the average working engine speeds and reduce the overall system heat loads which result in significantly increased performance and fuel efficiency.
- The torque converter is eliminated and rated engine speed lowered.
- The machine speed can be controlled independently of the engine speed and engine retarding energy is transferred to the fan and implement pumps.
- The new 972M XE is the class leader in fuel efficiency.
The Cat C9.3 ACERT engine is designed for maximum fuel efficiency and increased power density, while meeting Tier 4 Final/Stage IV emission standards. This engine features innovative Cat electronics, fuel injection process, air-management systems, aftertreatment solution with Cat Selective Catalytic Reduction, and a fuel efficient regeneration system. The Cat Regeneration System automatically removes soot from the Diesel Particulate Filter without interrupting your machine’s work cycle.
Cat injection timing precisely controls the fuel injection process through a series of carefully timed microbursts, providing more control of combustion for the cleanest, most efficient fuel burn. On 972M XE the High-Pressure Common Rail Fuel System boosts performance and reduces soot for the C9.3 ACERT engine.
The Cat NOx Reduction System (NRS) captures and cools a small quantity of exhaust gas, then routes it back into the combustion chamber where it drives down combustion temperatures and reduces NOx emissions.
To meet the additional 80% reduction in NOx emissions required by Tier 4 Final/Stage IV emission standards, one new system, the Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR), has been added to the already proven Cat Tier 4 Interim/Stage IIIB aftertreatment solution.
Easy to Operate
Safe. Comfortable. Efficient.
Improving operator efficiency remains a key design goal for the 972M XE. Ensuring operators are safe, confident in the control of their machines, have a clean, comfortable and quiet operating environment all contributes to lower operator fatigue and better performance.
New switch was added to the electronic service center which unlatches the door remotely (optional). Angle of steps has been increased to enable operators to walk up like stairs and three (3) points of contact in permanence were installed while walking up thanks to grab handles repositioning.
Lower glass panel has been extended several inches to improve visibility to the left side of the machine. New mirrors enable improved visibility to rear and both sides of the machine (integrated spot mirrors).
Improved thanks to lower engine speeds and improved ride control system allowing the operator to remain efficient and productive the whole day long.
The central display panel has a large text box, five analog gauges, and LED warning indicators. Operator has now easy access to machine operation, feature activation, system trouble shooting and calibration.
A new color touch screen display dramatically simplifies the operator interface; with machine controls, rear vision camera and new fully integrated Cat Production Measurement system. Sealed against moisture and dirt, the centralized switch panel with LED’s provides reliability and ready access to frequently required functions, even while wearing gloves.
Your operators will enjoy and quickly adapt to the seat mounted EH joystick steering system, which provides precision control and dramatically decreases operator arm fatigue.
It is easier to become effective with the Cat continuous variable transmission. There is no need to shift gears which enables the operator to focus on loading the bucket.
Reduced operator interface/operating mode complexity.
The right pedal can be electronically set to provide the desired amount of propulsion without the need to keep the pedal depressed.
Provides smooth and continuous operation. Initial pedal travel acts as a modulated neutralizer, progressively reducing rimpull.
Machine maneuvering on grade is made easy with smooth retarding and anti-rollback feature.
On-board diagnostic replaces single/double stall testing and offers additional information to help troubleshoot.
- Full Automatic Transmission – Operator can choose to put machine in 4F and go without need for further shifting.
- Programmable Virtual Gears – Provides familiar, conventional speed range limiting with added flexibility of selecting virtual gears in-between (0.5F, 0.6F, 0.7F…1F, etc…) for desired applications.
- Integrated Flexibility – Separate and settable forward and reverse maximum speed virtual gears make operating the machine simple.
- Smooth and Continuous Deceleration under Load without Manual Downshifting – Allows an operator to engage the pile from 2nd gear run out speeds without having to manually downshift. Intuitively changes from roading to dozing without the need of operator input.
Offers smooth and efficient directional changes without the need to modulate brakes/throttle, or coast in neutral, resulting in increased tire life and operator comfort.
Linkage and Guard Options to Meet Your Various Applications Needs.
The proven Z-bar linkage combines digging efficiency with excellent visibility to the tool resulting in excellent penetration into the pile, high breakout forces and superior production capabilities.
The optional high lift linkage offers increased hinge pin height to load more easily in a variety of applications with any type of bucket or fork.
Aggregate packages are specialized offerings for specific loose aggregate rehandling applications, such as truck loading, hopper charging, stockpiling, and load and carry. Rehandling loose aggregate is less stressful to the machine, therefore payloads can be increased above other applications by installing larger buckets, counterweights and a scale system such as the Cat Production Measurement system. To do so, the Cat aggregate packages require some prerequisites in terms of correct application, machine configuration and conformance to Caterpillar payload policy. Misapplication of Aggregate Handlers may result in significant reliability and durability risk.
The Industrial and Waste Packages offer integrated guards to preserve your machine from the harsh environment of a scrap or waste handling application. The machine guarding is purpose built to protect your machine’s major components and systems to ensure durability and reliability.
Do More Jobs with One Machine, Fusion Quick Coupler and Various Work Tools.
An extensive range of work tools and bucket styles are available to customize these machines for your operation. Work tools are available either with pin on or quick coupler interface.
- Load Easy, Fuel Efficient, Carry More – Performance Series Buckets utilize a system-based approach to balance bucket shape with the machine’s linkage, weight, lift and tilt capacities. Operators benefit from reduced dig times and better material retention; ultimately translating into significant productivity and fuel efficiency improvements.
- Lower Operating Costs – Performance Series Buckets feature a longer floor that easily digs through the pile and provides excellent visibility for the operators to see when the bucket is full. Less time digging in the pile results in lower fuel consumption and improved tire life. A unique spill guard protects the cab and linkage components from material overflow.
- Higher Productivity – Performance Series Buckets achieve higher fill factors – ranging from 100% to 115% depending on the machine application and material type. The buckets feature a curved side profile to maximize material retention. The optimized design results in unsurpassed production capabilities.
Fusion is the patented wheel loader coupler system from Caterpillar. The Fusion Coupler System provides performance virtually identical to pin on – with all the flexibility of a quick coupler system. The Fusion Coupler sits back, close in to the loader arms – minimizing offset and increasing the machine’s performance.
Fusion is designed to integrate the work tool and the machine by pulling the coupler and tool closer in to the loader. As a result, the center of gravity is moved inward, towards the machine. This translates to increased lifting ability when compared to machines equipped with other coupler systems.
An advanced wedging mechanism creates a tight, rattle-free fit. This patented lock up system eliminates play and wear – resulting in a long service life.
A new, open coupler frame design clears sight lines from the operator’s seat, making it easier than ever before to engage and disengage attachments with certainty.
The Fusion Coupler System not only allows one machine to use a range of work tools, but also allows one work tool to be picked up by machines of many different sizes.
Monitor, Manage, and Enhance Job Site Operations.
Cat Connect makes smart use of technology and services to improve your job site efficiency. Using the data from technology-equipped machines, you’ll get more information and insight into your equipment and operations than ever before. Cat Connect technologies offer improvements in these key areas: Equipment Management – increase uptime and reduce operating costs. Productivity – monitor production and manage job site efficiency. Safety – enhance job site awareness to keep your people and equipment safe. Featured Cat Connect technologies include:
LINK technologies wirelessly connect you to your equipment giving you access to essential information you need to know to run your business. Link data can give you valuable insight into how your machine or fleet is performing so you can make timely, fact-based decisions that can boost job site efficiency and productivity.
Product Link is deeply integrated into your machine to take the guesswork out of equipment management. Easy access to timely information like machine location, hours, fuel usage, idle time and event codes via the online VisionLink user interface can help you effectively manage your fleet and lower operating cost.
PAYLOAD technologies enable accurate weight measurement of material being loaded or hauled. Payload information is shared with loader operators in real-time to improve productivity, reduce overloading and record both weights and number of loads per shift.
Cat Production Measurement provides on-the-go payload weighing through the standard touch-screen display so operators can deliver exact loads with confidence and work more efficiently. Caterpillar designed, fully integrated, and factory-fit for high accuracy, reliability and ease of use. Stores up to 20 material types and 50 truck IDs and records detailed data to track productivity, including time/date, weights, cycles, and more. An optional in-cab printer provides the driver a printed receipt of truck payloads. The operator can track production using the two trip counter screens on the display. Site supervisors can wirelessly access data using the VisionLink web portal to measure production and monitor efficiency.
DETECT technologies help keep people and equipment safe by enhancing operator awareness of the work area around the equipment, by integrating safety features and by monitoring and reporting unsafe conditions or equipment operation.
The standard rear vision camera greatly enhances visibility behind the machine to help the operator work more safely and productively. A panoramic rear view is automatically displayed on the new multi-function monitor during reverse travel. As an option, a second display can be added, providing a dedicated full-time rear view of the job site.
Proven Best Investment.
A Customer Support Agreement (CSA) is an arrangement between you and your Cat dealer that helps you lower your total cost per ton. CSAs are flexible, allowing them to be tailored to your business needs. They can range from simple Preventive Maintenance Kits to elaborate Total Cost Performance Guarantees. Having a CSA with your Cat dealer enables more time for you to do what you do best – run your business.
Monitoring product health is key to optimizing the life of an investment into a Cat Wheel Loader.
- Cat Product Link – Cat Product Link allows remote monitoring of equipment to improve overall fleet management effectiveness. Product Link is deeply integrated into machine systems. Events and diagnostic codes, as well as hours, fuel, idle time and other detailed information are transmitted to a secure web based application, VisionLink. VisionLink includes powerful tools to convey information to users and dealers, including mapping, working and idle time, fuel level and more.
- S·O·S Services – Helps manage component life and decrease machine downtime, increasing productivity and efficiency. Regular fluid sampling can help track what is going on inside your machine. Wear related problems are predictable and easily repairable. Maintenance can be done to accommodate your schedule, resulting in increased uptime and flexibility in maintenance repairs before failure.
Caterpillar provides an unsurpassed level of personalized service to help you work more cost effectively and efficiently. By utilizing a worldwide parts network Cat dealers help minimize machine downtime and save money by delivering replacement parts within 24 hours.
Owning quality equipment is an important factor in maintaining resale value. Caterpillar is not only known for machines that are better built, but provides product and dealer support to maintain the reliability and durability of your machine.
Save Time and Money by Working Smart.
Machine configuration, operator technique, and job site layout can impact fuel consumption by as much as 30 percent. Data from customer machines show Cat wheel loaders are the most fuel efficient machines in the industry. Several features contribute to this excellent fuel efficiency:
- New Tier 4 Final/Stage IV ACERT Engine, Hydraulics, Transmission and Ride Control – Deep system integration results in reduced emissions, more productivity, lower fuel consumption, without interrupting machine performance – making it seamless to you and your operators.
- Advanced Power Train – With the integrated Cat continuously variable transmission, the machine is well balanced and easier to operate at extremely low engine speeds providing increased productivity while burning less fuel.
- New Manual/Automatic Differential Locks – Increase traction, reduce tire scuffing compared to other traction aids, further reducing your operating costs.
- New External Caliper Disc Parking Brakes – Easily accessible for maintenance.
- Machine Configuration – Select the correct linkage, guarding, work tool and tire type based on machine application. Radial tires are preferred; ensure proper inflation pressures. Heavier tires burn more fuel.
- Performance Series Buckets – Deliver faster fill times and better material retention, ultimately reducing cycle times while improving productivity and fuel efficiency.
- Loading Bucket – Load at low engine speed. Raise and tilt bucket smoother, with Caterpillar’s multi-function capability, and do not use a “pumping” motion. Avoid lift lever detent and use of transmission neutralizer. Use programmable kick-outs and automatic cylinder snubbing during repeated cycles.
- Loading Truck or Hopper – Do not raise the work tool any higher than necessary. Keep engine rpm low and unload in controlled manner. When slowing down the machine, use the lift command to recover the retarding energy.
- Idle – Set the parking brake to engage Engine Idle Management System to conserve fuel.
- Job Site Layout – Spot loading targets in the right position. Avoid traveling more than twice the machine length during short cycle loading. Reduce transport distance for load and carry cycles by optimizing job site layout.
Easy to Maintain. Easy to Service.
The Cat sloped “one-piece” tilting hood provides industry leading access to the engine. Its design has further been improved on all M Series wheel loaders to provide the best-in-class service access to engine, oil levels and coolant sight gauge.
The cooling system is readily accessible for clean out and maintenance. With six cooling fins per 25.4 mm and a perforated grill, most airborne debris entering the system passes through the cooler cores. The hydraulic and A/C cooler cores swing out providing easy access to both sides for cleaning. An access panel on the left side of the cooling package swings down to provide access to the back side of the engine coolant and Air-to-Air After Cooler (ATAAC). An optional variable pitch fan can automatically purge the cooler cores by periodically reversing the airflow when needed.
The electrical and hydraulic service centers provide grouped ground level access to numerous features, enhancing safety and convenience for your operators and service technicians, while reducing service time. The electrical service center, located beneath the left platform, contains the maintenance free batteries, a fuse relay panel, main disconnect switch, ground level engine shutdown switch, hood tilt switch, and the jump start receptacle. The hydraulic service centers are now virtually identical for the M Series product line. This new consistent layout makes it easier for service technicians who work on a variety of M Series models. Hydraulic system components on the 972M XE are protected by full flow and kidney-loop filtration. A filter in the hydraulic tank return line filters all of the oil returning to the tank. There is also a case drain screen for additional protection and finally, a separate kidney-loop filter with a finer micron rating continuously filters smaller particles out of the system. This multilevel design ensures the hydraulic oil is clean and thoroughly protects the rest of the hydraulic system from contamination. A new thermal bypass valve has been added to improve hydraulic system warm-up.
The 972M XE is designed to compliment your business plan, reduce emissions and minimize the consumption of natural resources.
- Improved fuel efficiency – less fuel consumed results in lower emissions.
- Machines are built with a 97% recyclability rate (ISO 16714) to conserve valuable natural resources and further enhance machine end of life value.
- Improved operator efficiency through enhanced visibility and reduced noise levels.
- Link technologies enable you to collect and analyze equipment and job site data so you can maximize productivity and reduce costs.
- Major components are rebuildable, eliminating waste and saving money by giving the machine and/or major components a second life – and even a third life.
Unmatched Support Makes the Difference.
- Your Cat dealer is ready to help you every step of the way. From new or used machine sales, to rental or rebuild options, your Cat dealer can provide an optimal solution to your business needs.
- Unsurpassed worldwide parts availability, trained technicians and customer support agreements maximize your machine uptime.
- Financing options are offered to meet a variety of customer needs.
Download Specalog Here